What 'Glee' did for gay kids


Bustle.com

You're probably sick of Glee, and sick of the fans. But, it hasn't been spoken about since it ended in 2015.

I could easily blame this show for making me gay, seeing as it started when I was 10 and ended when I was 16. Pinacle years for me and my lesbian feelings coming to light. Easily Santana Lopez's fault, but nevermind.

Glee was an important show in history. I remember the backlash they got for having two men kiss on the show (Kurt and Blaine in season 2). Turns out America is fine with characters who are gay, but having the proof, like a kiss, etc, is just too much and they "don't want their kids seeing that."

This show presented me with a lesbian couple, a character learning she was gay and then coming out and being proud about the fact. That influenced a lot of kids, I feel, who grew up watching. We got to see it was okay and that we exist and that we can have happy relationships. It also showed us how those relationships work, as most shows feature heavily on straight couples where the dynamic is obvious (even if, yes, they aren't traditional). Growing up gay, I was confused how it would work between two women, who makes a move? If we dance, who leads? Does someone have to lead? Etc.

The show started out with a stereotype of a gay man: Kurt Hummel. A closeted teenage boy, afraid to come out as gay, but very blatantly feminine. Over time, this representation felt less like comic relief and more a character for the feminine gay men out there. We got other gay characters that weren't stereotypes, and by doing this, it told people 'it's okay to be a stereotype.'

Variety.com

The actor, Chris Colfer, opened up about the character of Kurt being so close to home:

“I was just embarrassed. Because, I mean, I’d walk by some people that I barely knew in the hallway and they’d scream profanities at me that I didn’t think were true at the time. And of course everyone else in the hallway would laugh. And of course I had some amazing, legendary comebacks…But it’s just embarrassing, and it’s uncalled for. Especially when they don’t know you and you don’t know them. And I was a really, really good kid. I mean, I wasn’t necessarily the best student, but I was a fantastic kid and it just was heart-wrenching. It was heartbreaking."

The show dealt with the issues many LGBTQ students face with bullying and harassment growing up. Statistics have shown that 45% of LGBTQ students (and 64% of trans pupils) have faced bullying in British schools alone.

The iconic scene where Burt talks to Kurt about sex, is a touching moment because, although it couldn't, of course, go into an actual talk about sex, many LGBTQ people, growing up never get that talk from their parents. In fact, in schools, only 1 in 5 students are taught about safe sex in regards to same-sex relationships.

Another thing was when Burt stood up to Finn for saying the word "faggy" around his son, Kurt.


Burt: You use the N word?  
Finn: Of course not.  
Burt: How about "retard"? You call that nice girl on the Cheerios with Kurt, you call her a retard?  
Finn: Becky? No, she's my friend. She's got Down's Syndrome. I'd never call her that, that's cruel.  
Burt: But you think it's okay to come in my house and say "faggy"?  
Finn: But that's not what I meant.  
Burt: I know what you meant! What, you think I didn't use that word when I was your age? You know, some kid gets clocked in practice we tell him to stop being such a fag, shake it off. We meant it exactly the way you meant it. That being gay is wrong. That's some kind of punishable offense. I really thought you were different, Finn. You know, I thought that being in Glee Club, and being raised by your mom, meant that you were some, you know, new generation of dude who saw things differently. Who just kinda, you know, came into the world knowing what it's taken me years of struggling to figure out. I guess I was wrong. I'm sorry Finn, but you can't, you can't stay here.  
Kurt: Dad.  
Burt: I love your mom and maybe this is gonna cost me her, but my family comes first. I can't have that kind of poison around. [turns to Kurt] This is our home, Kurt. [turns back to Finn] He is my son. Out in the world you do what you want; not under my roof.


Glee broke a lot of boundaries. And, although it wasn't the best show on TV, it was still important to me growing up and to a lot of other queer kids who needed to hear Burt say “you gotta know that it means something. It’s doing something to you, to your heart, to your self-esteem — even though it feels like you’re just havin’ fun... Kurt, when you’re ready, I want you to be able to … do everything. But when you’re ready, I want you to use it as a way to connect to another person. Don’t throw yourself around like you don’t matter. ‘Cause you matter, Kurt.”


Comments

Popular Posts